It's scary! I guess putting yourself out there always is but unlike my wedding photography where people hired me to create emotional photographic art of their wedding day, with my fine art photographs I'm putting out there my own view on the world, my own ideas on beauty, and my own personal style. Talk about frightening!
At every step of the way I was bombarded with the familiar questions:
- What if no one likes it?
- What if they say mean things?
- What if they don't see any value?
- What if my own image of myself as an artist is shattered?
- What if I'm just wasting time and money on creating my art?
but I forged ahead anyways!
First, I started learning more about Etsy and reopened my shop. (www.etsy.com/shop/rebeccanashphoto)
Slowly but surely I added new pieces. I updated policies. I created descriptions that actually shared something.
Then the even more terrifying part...I needed to promote it.
When I was building the shop it was easy to say 'of course I have no traffic or sales, I haven't told anyone about it yet' but what would happen when I did put it out there?
Slowly I started sharing. Views went up, then a few favourites started popping up, then my first sale, and even a few treasury inclusions.
Deep breath, okay, people don't hate it. Some of them even seem to like my work. What now?
This month I took another scary step...I signed up for a booth at the Ogilvies Food & Artisan Market to sell my work in person to people. Admittedly, I convinced my fiance Ross of Ross Emerson Photography to join me in this endeavor of selling at the market.
On June 28th & 29th we set up our first booth. Traffic was steady and people were interested to see who we were and what we had to offer. We even had our first print sale!
On July 5th & 6th there I was at the market again. This time without Ross at my side but feeling much more confident.
Now I'm excited to announce that the art from Rebecca Nash Photography & Ross Emerson Photography will be available here in London more often!
Come check out our art in person and share your favourites.
So far, You can find us...
- Friday July 11th at the Masonville Farmers Market 8am-2pm
- Saturday July 12th & Sunday July 13th at Olgivies Food & Artisan Market 9am-4pm
- Friday July 18th (My Birthday) at the Masonville Farmers Market 8am-2pm
- Friday July 25th at the Masonville Farmers Market 8am-2pm
- Saturday July 26th & Sunday July 27th at Olgivies Food & Artisan Market 9am-4pm
- Saturday August 9th & Sunday August 10th at Olgivies Food & Artisan Market 9am-4pm
...but watch for more dates and locations!
Joining from outside London or can't make it to the market? Be sure to stop by the Etsy Shop at www.etsy.com/shop/rebeccanashphoto and take advantage of coupon code "SUMMERSUNSHINE" for 20% off your order (before tax & shipping)